An online course for students of class 8–12 of all curriculums / homeschoolers
GeoInformatics is a sub-field of Geography that connects with computer-based technologies such as satellite imaging, digital mapping and analysis, etc.
Several curriculums mention GeoInformatics in their Geography textbooks. But very few schools offer any practical lessons in this field.
The Institute of Geographical Studies (TIGS) and Dharani USA (DUSA) are offering this course to help children get started in GeoInformatics.
It is a very popular field of study and can equip learners with many powerful tools of analysis from study of natural environments to human issues and more. It is also a field in which youngsters could go on to make excellent and well-paying careers and jobs, while also helping our planet.
- Dates: 4 February 2023 – 4 March 2023 (both dates inclusive)
- Platform: Zoom
- Method: Interactive; + online and offline work as assigned.
- Whom is it for: Students of classes 8–12 of any curriculum / equivalent class of homeschoolers
- Maximum enrollment: 10 students
- Language of instruction: English
- Technical requirements:
- Laptop/Desktop with adequate memory and speed (the course is NOT designed for tablets or phones)
- Access to a working Gmail account (either the student’s own or shared with a responsible adult)
- Webcam, speakers / headphones, microphone
- Reasonably good and reliable broadband connection
- Quiet room with minimum environmental noise
- Proper lighting (light must be on student’s face)
- Stationery (pen/pencil, notebook)
- Safety disclaimer:
- A responsible adult must supervise the student’s work on the internet.
- The student’s safety the internet will be the sole responsibility of the adult(s) in whose care the student is.
- The Institute of Geographical Studies (TIGS), Dharani USA (DUSA), and the course instructors will not be responsible / liable for students’ safety online.
- Working knowledge of English at appropriate grade level.
- Familiarity with use of computers and use of apps.
- Dedication to completing good work, and on time.
- Be inquisitive: Do not hesitate to ask questions + to discuss with peers and facilitators.
- Spend the time required for the course: 1 hour 15 minutes in class + 2-3 hours on your own per week.
- Certificate: An international certificate will be provided to everyone who:
- Attends all classes fully,
- Completes all the course requirements on time and in a satisfactory manner.
- Cost: A donation of INR 1,000 to TIGS via netbanking or GooglePay. This amount is non-refundable wholly or partially under any circumstances.
- Last dates:
- For registration: 26 January 2023
- For selection announcement (will be sent by email): 28 January 2023 Remittance information will be given in that email.
- For remittance of funds: 1 February 2023
- Registration: Required. (Please complete the registration form below)
- Dr Chandra Shekhar Balachandran, Founder + Director, The Institute of Geographical Studies. Curriculum Vitae (PDF)
- Mr Gurudatta K N, a GeoInformatics professional, with 18+ years of industrial experience. He has a key focus on promoting GeoInformatics knowledge to the budding professional fraternity and the student community.
No responses yet